Being strictly an amateur, I have a Canon XF100 camcorder and I would like to edit XF100 recorded MXF videos in FCP X, but I found FCP X cann't handle Canon MXF files. So here's my question: What formats can I convert to and still get 100%, high quality/top quality HD video that would be equal to the video I would get with any of the aforementioned editors? Many thanks in advance for any response!
Any way, don't be anxious. At first, let's know something about MXF, OK? What is MXF? And what format is the best to be converted to for editing?
Currently, there're two basic MXF types: One is those where the essence (media) is stored in the same file as the metadata that refers to it. The other is that where the essence is stored in separate files to the metadata, while these files have External essence.
Take the below two cams for examples:
Let's see Canon XF100. In the folder of AA0230, the essence is the AA023001.MXF, while the other files like AA0230.CIF, AA0230.CPF, AA0230.THM, AA0230.XML, AA023001.SIF is unimportant. AA023001.MXF can be separated for archiving.
The other is P2. From the below pictures, you can see video and audio files are separated in different folders. And also, it's no difficult to find one video will have four audio tracks. For archiving, you need to keep the whole structure of video and audio.
MXF is a self-container format which is unacceptable to many editing software, like FCP (X), iMovie, FCE, Premiere Pro, Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas, Avid Media Composer, etc. There're so many video converters that's able to handle video converting. These video converters can do conversions from MXF to FCP, transcode MXF to Quicktime. But they're not professional MXF Converters, you may judge from the conversion speed, output quality. Video/Audio unsync issue is the most trouble to video converter users.
Here, A cost-effective program named Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac - a professional MXF to MOV Converter for Mac and makes it possible to edit (P2) MXF in FCP (X) without rendering. It allows you to manually input output video bitrate. and keep its high quality. The program is an easy-to-use and intuitive Mac tool helping camcorder( like Panasonic P2 camcorders, Canon XF series cameras) users to transcode to MXF to ProRes/MXF to AIC compatible with your Mac Video editing software like Final Cut Pro (x), iMovie, Final Cut Express.
So, ProRes, as FCP X's native format, is the best choice for FCP X editing. And the following guide focuses on converting Canon XF100 MXF to FCP friendly format, mainly telling you how to transcode Canon XF105 MXF to ProRes 422.
Step 1. Free download and run the best Canon XF100 MXF to FCP X Converter, add MXF captured videos to the program. You can not only click "add video" button to import Canon mxf files, but also you can click "add from folder" button to add MXF folder.
Step 2. Select output profile. If you want to edit MXF file in Final Cut Pro 6/7 or FCP X, suggest you choose Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422(*mov).
Tips: For editing in iMovie/FCE, you can choose iMovie and Final Cut Express > Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC)(*mov).
Step 3. Click "Convert" button to start encoding Canon XF100 MXF to ProRes 422 MOV for FCP X.
Once the Canon XF100 MXF file transcoding finished, click “Open” button to get the generated ProRes files.
Now you are ready to import the rewrapped XF100 MXF clips into Final Cut Pro X or Final Cut Pro 6/7 for post-production without rendering through "File > Import > Files"…
Read More: Importing video files and projects into Final Cut Pro X
Some more helpful features of the batch MXF to MOV Converter for Mac:
1. Settings- click to set video resolution(1920×1080/1440×1080/1280×720/720×480), bitrate (from 1Mbps to 20Mbps), frame rate (24p/30p)
2. Editor (next to "Add" icon)- click to set deinterlace, denoise, mute, volume up, trim, crop, etc.
- How to Import and Edit AVI Files with FCP X on Mac El Capitan/Sierra?
- Import MP4 Files to FCP X for Best Editing Workflow
- Best Workflow of Canon 5D Mark IV 4K MOV with FCP X
- Best Editing Workflow of Typhoon H 4K with FCP X on macOS Sierra
- Import DJI Inspire 1/1 Pro 4K to FCP 7 Editing on macOS Sierra
- How to Edit Sony FDR-AX35 4K XAVC S with FCP X on Mac OS X El Capitan?
- Transcode Sony XDCAM EX MP4 to Prores for FCP X Editing on Mac El Capitan
- How to Transcode 4K XAVC S to 4K Prores for FCP X on Mac El Capitan?
- Edit Sony PXW-X400 XAVC L with FCP X on Mac OS X El Capitan
- Transcode and Edit Sony Alpha 68 XAVC S with FCP X on Mac El Capitan
- Import 4K Footage to Final Cut Pro X/7/6