This article aims at illustrating you how to calculate Handbrake Video Bitrate/Quality Settings and choose the parameters that are perfectly suitable for your need.
Handbrake is an open-source DVD ripping and video converting software which is amazing when ripping your DVDs and converting your video files, but figuring out the right settings can be a challenge. Let our Handbrake Video Bitrate calculator do the work for you.
With just a little input on your part, the calculator will provide you with a video bitrate to use. Before you get started, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
Quality definitely differs between low, medium and high but low isn't going to make your video look like crap either. All your options are designed to be watch-able, but the bigger the screen the higher you'll want to set the quality. When in doubt, Medium is always a good choice.
If you're just encoding for your computer, just go for it. If you're encoding for your mobile device, be sure to check its encoding specifications (for example, here are specs for the iPhone). While this calculator aims to stay within the bounds of mobile devices (at least at the "Low" quality setting), it's possible it may exceed your device's capabilities. It's always best to double-check before putting in the time to encode a long movie.
The reason this calculator only handles video is because audio bitrate is going to be restricted by your device. For example, Apple devices should always encode stereo audio at 160kbps. A sampling rate of 48Khz is what you're going to want to use in almost every case. If you don't have any device restrictions, we recommend 256kbps for stereo audio. Feel free to choose whatever you'd like, but as a reference point you should know that most of the music you buy online is encoded at 192kbps.
HandBrake 1.0.0 Video Setting Control Panel
Video Codec is device or software that enables video compression and/or decompression for digital video.
Frame rate is the frequency at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames.
2-Pass Encoding: when you use average bitrate in 2-pass mode, the encoding will take twice as long. It can do a better job doling out bitrate, and you get a better quality video closer to the average bitrate you told it use.
Turbo first Pass: by enabling this, when encoding 2-pass with x264, you can cut down the time of the first pass by 50%-75%. There will be a drop in quality, but so slight as to be imperceptible to the eye.
Note: Is it really necessary to keep 100% quality with no compression? Nope. You'll end up with video that's way larger than the DVD, but doesn't look any better. According to my experience, 80% quality is OK, which is roughly equivalent to how heavily the DVD is compressed. If you do go higher, your output will be larger than your input!
If you want to find a HandBrake 1.0.0 Alternative for Ripping DVDs without computing these complicated settings on Mac, you can go to Pavtube BDMagic for Mac which is is easy to use for editing and conversion and makes great quality copies of Blu-ray & DVDs. Mavericks 10.9 supported.
1. As for inexperienced users, you can finish Blu-ray & DVD conversion with one-click solution.
2. With it, you can convert all Blu-ray & DVD including the ones HandBrake can't deal with to almost all regular video formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, WMV, AVI, etc. and even extract MP3, WMA, FLAC, OGG, etc. audio from DVD movies bypassing the disc protection.
3. Becides that, it can backup your Blu-ray & DVD collection to avoid them from daily playback damage or from your children by makeing 1:1 copy of original Disc including the chapters, extras, and subtitles or directly copying the main movie.
4. Pavtube BDMagic for Mac provided to let your get videos with the best settings to fit your portable devices like iPhone, iPad, Nexus 8, HTC, Samsung and HandBrake unsupported PS3, PSP, Xbox, Zune, Surface 2, etc. are .
5. The built-in video editor allows you to easily get desired video part and effects. If you’re using a Windows PC, please turn to its Blu-ray & DVD Ripping software for Win, which enables you to digitize DVD film collection on Windows 2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 8.1.
Okay, that's all, have fun!