This article offers a brief instruction about how to backup and rip DVD movies to Plex Media Server for streaming and sharing.
Plex is designed to organize all of your personal media so you can enjoy it no matter where you are. With it, you can easy to get your movies to play with your iPad, Android tablet/phone and laptop. I personally like the whole idea of Plex Media Server and hopefully have a great "personal movie cloud" experience by getting movies off of my DVD discs and onto Plex for streaming with ease! (Have Blu-ray discs? Here is Blu-ray to Plex solution)
To do the DVD and Plex task, we need to get some help from third-party software. The best program for ripping DVD movies for Plex Media Sever (Reference:Top DVD Ripping Programs Review) I can recommend here is Pavtube DVDAid. It aims to solve this problem by giving us the ability to store our purchased physical DVD and DVD ISO/IFO files to local computer, hard drive then stream over a home network for Plex Media Server and iPad, Android, PC playback. It’s professional in ripping and converting and even editing DVD movies. The equivalent Mac version is here. Just get the right version and follow the steps below to copy DVD movies to PLex Media Sever for streaming.
How to convert/backup DVDs to Plex Media Server with ease
Step 1: Insert your DVD disc into your DVD-ROM, run the DVD Ripper and click "BD/DVD disc" icon to load movies. You can also import movies files from DVD folder, ISO/IFO.
Step 2: Click the "Format" option, and choose MP4, MKV from HD Video profile list. If you want to keep 1080p resolution as source movie, you can choose HD Video > H.264 HD Video(*.mp4) for Plex Media Server.
Note: The output format is preferably in a common format, like MP3 for audio, MPEG-4 for video. The more common format you use, the more devices you can stream to. For example, if you use FLAC instead of MP3 for your music, you can't stream to your Xbox 360. Just keep in mind that not all devices support all formats of media.
Tip - Advanced Settings:
If you like, you can click "Settings" to change the video encoder, resolution, frame rate, etc. as you wish. Keep in mind the file size and video quality is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss, and vice versa.
Step 3: Click the "Convert" button under the preview window, and the DVD ripper will start the conversion from DVD movies to Plex Media Server.
Once the conversion finished, get the ripped DVD files onto Plex Media Server easily. Now you can stream DVD movies through Plex to iPad, Xbox 360, Roku, Smart TV, PS3, or other connected devices for great enjoyment.
- Ways of Watching 3D Movies with VLC Media Player
- Stream Local Video on Fire TV with VLC via USB drive
- How to Get AVI Files Played on VLC Media Player?
- How to Play MKV Files on VLC Smoothly?
- How to Fix VLC H.265/HEVC Playback Issues?
- Play Sony XDCAM EX MP4 Files with QuickTime Player on Mac El Capitan
- How to Fix AVI Files Not Playing with QuickTime Player 10 on Mac?
- 3 Ways to Play MKV Files with QuickTime Player on Mac
- How to Install and Run QuickTime 7 Pro on Mac OS X El Capitan?
- How to Convert Sony 4K XAVC S to MOV for QuickTime player on Mac El Capitan?
- Does QuickTime Play Blu-ray/DVD/ISO, MKV/MP4/AVI/FLV/WMV?
- 7 Essential Add-ons that you must download for Kodi Media Player
- Stream Supported and Unsupported Video from Kodi/XBMC to Chromecast
- How to Play 3D Blu-ray ISO Files on Kodi with 3D Effect?