This article will tell you how to cast and play your
local media files in MKV, AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, MPG, MOV format to TV for playback from Computer via Chromecast.
Chromecast faces tough competition from a number of other connected devices ranging from the Apple TV to Roku. Will it be successful? Let’s know this stuff first.
What is Chromecast?
Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favorite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV by using your smart phone, tablet or laptop.
It is magical, but not without issues.
With Chromecast, we can enjoy videos, music, and more on TV from computer and other devices with our family and friends only in three steps. That's amazing. However, Chromecast has limitation in the input video formats. Only video containers MP4 and WebM encoded with Video codecs H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5, VP8 and audio codecs HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/Opus, MP3, Vorbis are compatible with Chromecast. So many people suffered a lot when they cast local media to TV, let’s have a look at what issues people met:
- When users send local media which are with extensions MP4 or WebM through Chromecast to TV, it will be succeeded playing in most cases but sometimes failed. That is because MP4 and WebM, as video container format, contain different video or audio codecs which Chromecast doesn't recognize.
- As we all know, WebM is based on MKV format, so these two formats are very similar. But people still have problems with MKV: can't cast MKV to TV or though successfully send MKV to TV but no sound or video. Though MKV has similarity with WebM, they are not totally the same. When MKV contains audio codecs like DTS or AC3, you can't send these files to TV though Chromecast or can just get the video but no audio.
- For DRM protected iTunes videos, you can remove DRM first and convert iTunes m4v for Chromecast.
- How to play some video formats like AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, MPG, MOV, etc. to TV which are Chromecast incompatible? The easiest way to solve the issues we listed above is to convert those Chromecast incompatible formats to MP4 or WebM format natively supported by Chromecast.
Troubleshoot: Convert MKV, AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, MPG, MOV to play on TV via Chromecast smoothly
Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate is highly recommended here to give you a help. (Read its review) It is a professional video converter to convert MKV, AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, MPG, MOV and other almost all kinds of video and audio formats like to AIFF, WAV, M4A, AC3, AAC, WMA, OGG, MP2, MP3, AU, MKA, FLAC to Chromecast supported video and audio format. Now let’s try to use this Chromecast Video Converter.
Step 1. Add videos to Chromecast Video Converter(Mac version is here). You can click the “Add video” button or “File” to import.
Step 2. Choose output format for Chromecast by clicking the “Format” bar. Choose MP4 or WebM supported by Chromecast. MP4 is recommended because it can be accepted by most of the devices in the market.
You can set some video and audio parameters for the video that you are going to output in “Settings”. To get Chromecast compatible AAC audio, just your audio codec to AAC.
Step 3. Click “Convert” button to start to convert your MKV, AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, MPG, MOV video to Chromecast friendly format.
When the conversion ends, you can tap the Open button to locate the converted files and then share them on TV via Chromecast simply.
The way using Chromecast to cast video files from your computer to TV with Chrome
Chromecast Android smartphones and tablets screen to your TV
1 Install Chromecast app for your Android device.
2 Open the Chromecast app and click Cast Screen button.
3 Go to media player and play any video from your device.
- How to Stream ISO Images to Apple TV 4 on Mac?
- Stream Supported and Unsupported Video from Kodi/XBMC to Chromecast
- How to Play H.265 MP4 Encoded 1080p Movies on WDTV?
- WD TV Won’t Play All MP4 Files, Solved!
- Convert and Compress 4K Video for WD TV Playback
- Amazon Fire TV Supported File Formats, Stream Local Video to Amazon Fire TV
- How to Cast 4K Video to 4K TV via Chromecast with Best Quality?
- The best settings for Apple TV 2 –play Blu-ray/DVD/video
- How to Play DVD with Apple TV 4?
- Shrink Blu-ray to Apple TV with Dolby Digital 5.1
- Best Way to Stream AC3 via Chromecast to TV